Richard J. Schonberger
MEET Richard J. Schonberger
Richard Schonberger, Ph.D., is president of Schonberger & Associates of Seattle, providing seminars and advisory services to industrial and service organizations worldwide. He is author of over 170 articles and papers, a 12-volume video set, several books, including:
Best Practices in Lean Six Sigma Process Improvement: A Deeper Look . . . with Telling Evidence from the Leanness Studies (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2008)
And from Free Press imprint of Simon & Schuster:
Let's Fix It! Overcoming the Crisis in Manufacturing: How the World's Leading Manufacturers Were Seduced by Prosperity and Lost Their Way (2001).
World Class Manufacturing — The Next Decade: Building Power, Strength, and Value (1996), in seven languages and six printings.
Building a Chain of Customers: Linking Business Functions to Create the World Class Company (1990), in five languages; over 28,000 copies sold.
World Class Manufacturing Casebook: Implementing JIT and TQC (1987); over 30,000 copies sold.
World Class Manufacturing: The Lessons of Simplicity Applied (1986), in eight languages and 20 printings; over 150,000 copies sold.
Japanese Manufacturing Techniques: Nine Hidden Lessons in Simplicity (1982), in nine languages and 25 printings; over 160,000 copies sold.
Schonberger is originator of the now widely-used term (and supporting concepts), world class manufacturing..
Among his current activities, Dr. Schonberger is director of: 1. The Leanness Studies, an on-going tracking of inventory turnover data for more than 1,400 companies in 33 countries. 2. An international benchmarking research project called World Class by Principles (WCP), with assisting research partners in leading nations globally.
Miscellaneous Schonberger Presentations, 2004-15:
Recent 2-day, 1-day, half-day workshops/seminars: Monterrey, Mexico (Sponsor: Katcon, Inc.); Stockholm, Sweden (Sponsor: Sandholm Associates); Norman, OK (Sponsor: Executive Lean Summit); Duck Key, FL (Hollister, Inc.); Cardiff, Wales, UK (Sponsor Lean Enterprise Research Center, Cardiff University); Steyr, Austria, for SKF Management (Sponsor: Upper Austria Univ. of Applied Science); Manchester, UK (Sponsor: Manufacturing Institute); Mumbai, India (Sponsor: RA Knowledge Forums); New Delhi, India (Sponsor: RA Knowledge Forums); Shanghai, PR China--in 2007 and 2008 (Sponsor: Mena Maxson); Cleveland (Cleveland APICS); Santa Clara, CA (Santa Clara APICS); Nashville, TN (sponsor: Shingo Prize); Tijuana, Mexico (principal sponsor: Calidad Total Empresarial)
Topics: These presentations focus on a wide variety of issues, especially regarding process improvement, lean management, and total quality; some slanted specifically on human resource management, performance management and measurement, supply-chain/value-chain management, management accounting/lean accounting, design for manufacturing and assembly, designing and equipping factories, capital equipment, global/regional/sector trends, and competitiveness/strategic management. Please see "Recent Articles," later in the website, for titles that relate to presentation topics.
- Keynote, International DFMA Forum, Providence, RI, June 4, 2014
- Keynote, 50th Anniversary of Tec de Juarez, Cd. Juarez, Mexico, March 31, 2014
- Keynote, Central Coast Lean Summit, San Luis Obispo, CA, Feb. 21, 2014
- Presenter, ASQ 22nd Annual Service Quality Conference, Las Vegas, Oct. 7, 2013
- Keynote, 8th Annual Shingo Prize Mexico Congress, Monterrey, Mexico, Sept. 26, 2013
- Webinar, Industry Week, Mar. 14, 2013
- Webinar, Lean Frontiers, Dec. 11, 2012
- Keynote, The Association (of college administrators) Spring Conference, Puyallup, WA April 13, 2012
- Keynote, Association for Quality Management Lean and Six Sigma 11th Anniversary Conference, Phoenix, AZ, Feb. 12, 2012.
- Invited presenter, APICS, Buffalo, NY, Nov. 17, 2011
- Invited presenter, APICS, Rochester, NY, Nov. 16, 2011
- Keynote, Hand Tools Institute, Chicago, Oct. 24, 2011
- Keynote, Slimmer Werken Conference, Van Lente & De Vos, Eindhoven, Netherlands, June 1, 2011
- Keynote, 7th Swedish Six Sigma and Lean Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, May 31, 2011
- Keynote, First International Value Chain Management Conference, Steyr, Austria, May 5, 2011
- Keynote, Vortex 2011 Conference, Polytecnic Institute, Hermosillo, Mexico, Mar. 15, 2011
- Keynote, ChemChina annual managers' meeting, Beijing, Dec. 15, 2011
- Keynote, Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, San Diego, Nov. 21, 2010
- "Hot Topics" presentation, 2010 APICS International Conference, Las Vegas, Oct. 19, 2010
- Keynote, Oklahoma Conference on Manufacturing, Norman, OK, Sept. 20, 2010
- Tutorial, 21st Annual POMS Conference, Vancouver, BC, May 8, 2010
- Invited speaker, APICS Puget Sound, Bellevue, WA, Apr. 14, 2010
- Invited lecturer, Bainbridge Graduate Institute, WA, Feb. 5, 2010
- Keynote, South Carolina Lean Alliances Annual Conference, Greenville, SC, Dec. 9, 2009
- Keynote, Annual AME Conference, Senior Leadership Evening, Covington, Kentucky, Oct. 20, 2009
- Keynote, Annual Job-Shop Lean Conference, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH, Sept. 14, 2009
- Keynote, Annual AME-CME Conference, Calgary, June 2, 2009
- Invited Speaker, Alberta Agriculture & Rural Development, at AEM-CEM Annual Conference, Calgary, June 2, 2009
- Keynote, 15th Annual IEMS Conference, Cocoa Beach, FL, Mar. 9, 2009
- Professional Development Meeting, APICS Bellingham, WA, & Western Washington Univ. student chapter, Nov. 5, 08
- Keynote, Lean Accounting Summit 2008, Las Vegas, Sept. 18, 08
- Featured Speaker, SABMiller Biennial Technical Conference, Krakow, Poland, Sept. 2, 08
- Keynote, SAPAmericas Lean Enterprise Summit, Philadelphia, July 22, 08
- Keynote, Lean Enterprise Research Center's 2008 Conference, Cardiff, Wales, UK, July 4, 08
- AME Western Regional Conference, San Diego, Supply-Chain Flight, June 10, 08
- Plenary Speaker, Forum Production & Management 2008, Upper Austria Univ. of Applied Science, Steyr, Austria, May 29, 08
- Keynote, Noria Lean 2008 Conference, Nashville, TN, May 22, 08
- Plenary Speaker, 19th IIE Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, May 20, 08
- Keynote, Lean Track, IIE Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, May 19, 08
- Keynote, 19th Annual Production/Operations Management (POMS) meeting, La Jolla, CA, May 10, 08
- Keynote, 20th Annual Shingo Prize Conference, Dallas, TX, Apr. 3, 08
- Professional Development Meeting, APICS-Seattle, Bellevue, WA, Dec. 12, 07
- Mini-Seminar, Coloplast, Global Operations Management Seminar, Humlebaek, Denmark, Nov. 14, 07
- INFORMS Annual Meeting, Seattle, Nov. 4, 2007
- Keynote, Supplier Day, Schweitzer Engineering Labs, Pullman, WA, Feb. 13, 07
- Keynote, Manufacturing Teleconference, Genlyte, Jan. 17, 07
- Keynote, Lean Accounting Summit, Orlando, FL, Sept. 21, 06
- Seminar, SWEP International, Landskrona, Sweden, Sept. 4-5, 06
- Keynote, "International Conference on Agile Manufacturing," Norfolk, VA, July 19, 06.
- "Lean Services" presentations, IronMan 06 Conference, Standard Chartered Bank, Singapore, Jan. 12, 06
- Cardinal Health, Columbus, OH, Nov. 16, 05
- Keynote, 4th Annual Applied Mfg. Conference, Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center, Arlington, TX, Oct. 27-28, 05
- 42nd PLAN Logistics Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, Apr. 15, 05
- AmorePacific Co., Seoul, Korea, Dec. 3, 04
- Lean Enterprise Seminar, Korean Standards Asso. Consulting, Seoul, Korea, Dec. 2, 04
- Korean Tools Industry Cooperative, Seoul, Korea, Dec. 1, 04
- Korea Western Power Co., Seoul, Korea, Dec. 1, 04
- Customers of Arrow Electr., San Jose., Nov.11, 04
- Customers of Arrow Electronics, Minneapolis., Nov. 9, 04
- Customers of Arrow Electronics, Boston, Oct. 26, 04
- Universidad Autï¿½noma del Noreste, Torreï¿½n, Mexico, Oct. 15, 04
- 2004 APICS International Conference, San Diego, Nov. 12, 04
- RMIT University, Melbourne Australia, Sept. 3, 04
- City of Dandenong/Victoria government, Springvale, VIC, Australia, Sept. 2, 04
- City of Dandenong/Victoria government, VIC, Australia, Sept. 1, 04
- MBA students, PE Technikon, Port Elizabeth, S. Africa, June 21, 04
- Lean leader session, Shingo Prize Conference, May 19, 04
- Saginaw Valley APICS/NAPM/mfg. asso., Apr. 13, 04
- “Lean” event, Manufacturers Resource Center, Allentown, PA, Mar. 30, 04
- 4th Ind. Engrg. Symposium, Tecnologico de Delicias, Delicias, Mexico, Mar. 23, 04
- Takata Seat Belts, Monterrey, Mexico, Mar. 10-11, 04